Re: Do I need gyn or repro dr. for laparoscopy (NYC)?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ American Infertility Association Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by debra on May 03, 19100 at 18:30:38:

In Reply to: Do I need gyn or repro dr. for laparoscopy (NYC)? posted by Maria on May 03, 19100 at 17:13:20:

: I need a laparoscopy in NYC for diagnosis and
: treatment of a probable bilateral hydrosalpinx,
: or possibly endometriosis or bilateral TOA. I
: am 34 and and want to have children, but am not
: trying to conceive now or in the next 2 years.

: I have received conflicting advice as to whether
: the laparascopy should be done by (1) essentially
: any good ob-gyn; (2) an ob-gyn who indicates he/she
: specializes in gynecological or reproductive surgery;
: or (3) a doctor certified or specializing in
: reproductive endocrinology and fertility.
: Resolve recommended that infertility doctors,
: but will they be interested in what may be
: essentially "preventive" infertility care? I
: welcome your advice.

Dear Maria:
Laproscopic surgery is performed by RE's and ob-gyns. Recently at my ob-gyn's office I noticed a certificate of recognition for her excellence inb performing laproscopic surgery, and when I mentioned that I thought they were only done by RE"S she seemed puzzled that I would think so. So the bottom line is that a highly skilled doctor perform the surgery and you may want to ask either kind of doctor how many they do and for how many years they have been performing them-they first began performing them in the '70's. Good luck, debra

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup