Re: Referral

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ American Infertility Association PCOS Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ellen Bender on April 08, 19100 at 07:59:29:

In Reply to: Referral posted by Aletheia on April 07, 19100 at 23:15:11:

In terms of finding a PCOS savvy doctor in your area, your best bet is to see a reproductive endocrinologist (particularly if you are trying to conceive) or a medical endocrinologist. Both treat women with PCOS although they may have different focuses based on their training. Many OB/GYNs simply have not received enough training on this issue. I wish I had a name to give you but at the moment I do not. My suggestions are a)contacting any local university medical centers to see if there is a Department of Reproductive Endocrinology. If there is, you might get the list of names, check their credentials, look them up in the SART or ASRM directory (there is a link to both organizations websites on the AIA website -- click on links). Before you make an appointment, see if you can find out the percentage of PCOS patients in their practice, whether they are familiar with using insulin sensitizing medications to treat PCOS, whether they are familiar with using low dose gonadotropin protocols on clomid resistant PCOS patients. Check out Dr. Daniel Stein's article on this website which talks about basic diagnostic tests and make sure that any prospective doctor is ready to perform them. : My OB/GYN at the time mentioned the PCOS, but acted like it was not a big deal. Check out this website for upcoming PCOS events like on line chats. Lots of luck, Ellen Bender, AIA PCOS Center

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup